Name Change

We are proud to be among the few firms in and around Wilmington, NC to offer tailored name change services. Our clients can trust in our experience.
name change law

We are well-equipped to guide individuals and minor children through the entire process, ensuring a smooth and efficient name change that aligns with their specific needs and circumstances.

Adult Name Change

If you’re 18 years or older and located in the Wilmington area, we can help you legally change your name. The process involves posting a notice of the name change and filing a petition with the court. Nick will guide you through each step, including obtaining background checks, fingerprint cards, and character witnesses. We provide name change assistance in Brunswick, New Hanover, Pender, and Onslow Counties.

Minor Child Name Change

Changing the last name of a minor child often aims to create family cohesion. Unlike adult name changes, background checks are not required for minor child name changes. However, if both parents are alive and listed on the birth certificate, both parents must consent to the name change. Consent from both parents is not required if one of the following applies:

  • A minor over 16 files a petition with consent from the custodial parent and the other parent has abandoned the minor. Proof of abandonment can be shown through a court order.

  • A parent can file a name change petition on behalf of a minor without the other parent’s consent if the other parent has abandoned the minor or has been convicted of specific criminal offenses against the child.

Certain circumstances, such as adoption, automatically create a legal name change for a minor child. If a minor child wishes to change their name, we can provide the necessary guidance and direction through the legal process.

Resuming Maiden Name

After a divorce, many individuals, both women and men, may wish to resume their maiden name. Although it’s not mandatory to request the resumption of the maiden name during the divorce, the process is typically simpler when done at that time. If you want to resume your maiden name after a divorce, we’re here to support you throughout the process.